Day Number One (278.2 lbs)
By this point in time, if you haven’t already heard of the keto diet, you must be living under a rock. Of course, just because you’ve heard of it doesn’t mean you’ve spent hours online, clicking one link or another, trying to find out how to do what everyone else seems to be able to do – lose weight.
So here I sit, on day one of my keto journey. My emotions right now are all kind of mixed and jumbled. On one hand, I feel excited and ready. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this many carbs in one morning… ever. Isn’t it funny how you never notice something until you can’t eat it?
Anyhow, there are a couple purposes for this blog. The first is to list my goals and the second is to discuss my thoughts.
The most important purpose of this blog is really to declare my goals and reasoning for doing this. That way, in a week when I’m really craving a big bowl of macaroni and cheese, I can stay on track and have a list of reasons.
- To like what I see in the mirror – After twenty-eight years, I am comfortable announcing that I feel completely comfortable with myself, mentally. However, when I look in the mirror, the person I see looking back at me isn’t who I want to be.
- To decrease my need for medications – After serving in the military, I have depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, both of these are considered to be side effects of a obese lifestyle.
- To improve my health – There is nothing worse than going to the doctor and being diagnosed with one thing and one thing only, obesity. Even if I have other underlying issues, the big red flag prevents most doctors from acknowledging them. It’s honestly just exhausting.
- To live longer – As many people are aware, being obese shortens life expectancy. I want to undo that and live – happily – as long as possible. This is the first step.
- To not look back with regret – So many times, I’ve thought about starting to eat healthy. Unfortunately, I normally decide not to. Now I look back to those moments, whether they be nine months ago or four years ago, and I know that I don’t want to look back at this moment with the same perspective.
I can imagine that having thoughts or concerns regarding the keto lifestyle is normal. I mean, suddenly I’m cutting back on carbs and revving up the fat intake. How the hell is this going to eventually eliminate my body fat?!? How is this even possible?
- What if I don’t go into ketosis and just get fat? – Seriously, what if I somehow do everything all wrong and gain a shit ton of weight, but lose none? OH MY GOD!
- How bad is the keto flu, really? – I’ve read so much about it. I’m really not looking forward to it, though.
Like I said, this is day one, so I don’t have much left to say. Bring on the fatty foods and take away the carbs! I’m ready for this…. I think!