Although the odds are quite against it, if you’ve ever stumbled into the Starks’ Townhall Christmas Party – just outside of Rhinelander – then you’ve tried my dad’s “world famous” deviled eggs. I’m completely serious when I say my parents moved out of the township over three years ago and they still get invited every year just so my dad will bring his eggs.
They tend to be a basic staple at any family gathering, any graduation party, any potluck, or any other food-bearing event my parents are invited to. Consequently, after starting to live a keto lifestyle, I really missed the creamy and sweet little gems. So, I set out on a mission to replicate my favorite treat in a keto friendly way.
Needless to say, I succeeded. From the mayonnaise – made from avocado oil and other basic ingredients – to the paprika sprinkled over the finished product, these eggs meet all the expectations of my insatiable taste buds while staying well inside the range of my macros! The best part is, they taste just like the real thing. I can’t wait to bring these to all my local gatherings all summer long!
Dad’s Keto Friendly Deviled Eggs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 servings (24 deviled eggs)
- 12 Eggs
- 1 Cup Keto Friendly Mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Xyla
- 1 Tbsp Dill Relish (I sub 2 Tbsp of Dill Pickle juice since I rarely have relish on hand!)
- 1 tsp Paprika
Keto Friendly Mayo (a knockoff of Grass Fed Girls recipe!)
- 1 Egg Yolk (large, room temperature)
- 1/3 tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/3 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp White Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Avocado Oil
Prepping the Mayo
- Begin by ensuring all of your ingredients are room temperature, especially the egg. A quick method to get an egg to room temperature is run warm water over the egg.
- Combine yolk, salt, mustard, lemon juice, and white vinegar in a bowl and whisk together. I like to use a glass and a fork, personally.
- Slowly add the avocado oil – whisking continuously (this is REALLY important) – until the mixture begins to thicken and emulsify!
- Transfer it the mixture into a food processor – as usual, I use my ninja – and pulse for about thirty seconds, or until the mixture appears to be spreadable mayonnaise.
- Leave in the food processor!
- While you are making the mayo, boil one dozen eggs in the manner that you usually use.
- Peel the eggs.
- Cut each egg in half “like a hotdog”.
- Remove the yokes and place in the food processor with the completed mayonnaise.
Deviling the Eggs
- Add mustard, Xyla, and relish. Then pulse until the mixture is creamy. (Note: (The original recipe calls for 2.5 Tbsp of sugar and sweet relish. In order to keep the recipe keto friendly, I changed to dill relish and Xyla. Since starting keto, I sincerely cannot handle much sweet, so please test the mixture and make sure it’s sweetened to your liking with your favorite keto sweetener!)
- Insert yolk mixture – evenly – into halved egg whites. I personally pour my deviled egg yolks in a Ziploc bag with the corner chopped off and squeeze it in, other’s use a cake decorator! Whatever fits your needs works just fine.
- Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate for a half hour (or longer), then enjoy!
Calories: 406 – Fat: 38.4g – Net Carbohydrates: 3.3g – Protein: 13.2g